Monday 2 February 2009

This is not just Lunch... this is M&S Lunch







Taking a seat at the u-shaped bar of the M&S Deli Bar – situated on the lower ground floor of the retail giants impressive Kensington High Street store – we were able to watch in awe as the chefs delicately prepared plate after plate of delicious looking food for the happily paying guests.

The clientele is a charming mix of yummy mummies and sophisticated looking couples, out simply to enjoy a spot of lunch in what is an exceptionally relaxed and appealing atmosphere. The relatively small, but highly impressive bar combines well with the sky-blue walls to create a bright and modern space.

Having decided within moments of studying the extensive menu that I would in fact be going for the burger, I quickly turned my attention to the drinks and ordered a bottle of crisp tasting lager, which arrived in a tall elegant glass, the sort that you would expect to find in a top London restaurant.

All of the food and drink available at the Deli Bar is available to purchase in the food hall yet to have it cooked right there in front of you is just too good an opportunity to miss. Clearly I was not alone in my thinking as the bar was filled with people reading the morning paper whilst waiting for their lunch.

What the problem was I do not know but our waitress spent a great deal of time trying to enter our order into the touch-screen computers, which was slightly off-putting, however there was plenty to amuse whilst waiting for our mains to arrive, which they did after a decent ten minutes or so.

The burger looked fantastic, stacked up with salad and melting cheese and with two rashers of bacon on top. As for the bun, my first thought was that they had over-toasted it, yet in fact, it was nothing short of genius, tearing apart with ease to reveal a fluffy white inside that I would duly cover in M&S ketchup.

The ‘chunky chips’ were suitably large yet with only seven on the plate the attempted Jenga stack didn’t really come together. Tasting just as they do from the shelf, the chips were certainly moreish however and I ended up pinching a fair few from my sister’s side order, to compliment her club sandwich.

A fresh slice of tomato was a welcome addition to the burger tower, whilst the meat itself was incredibly juicy and tender, and most definitely 100% beef. I’m not quite sure how they cook the burgers (which are done behind the scenes) as the waitress didn’t ask how I would like it, yet it was beautifully done.

The food was faultless and with a fabulous atmosphere I can easily see why the Deli Bar is a firm favourite with the locals and weekend shoppers alike. The only thing that amazes me in fact is why they don’t have them in other M&S stores across the capital, something that I hope will be changing soon.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with this review. I have been to about 5 different deli bars but when I was in Northern Ireland on a business trip I visited the Lisburn store, which I can undoubtly say was not only the best deli I have visited but one of the best dining experiences I have had. I was served by a helpful, smiling member of staff named Ashley and could not have had a more welcoming approach from a member of hospitality staff. The chef made me a prawn and avocado salad in front of me which was a fresh lift for the day. Did not know chefs name as I could not see name badge closely. Overall excellence!

    ReplyDelete